Friday, May 24, 2013

Remember Our Soldiers

Today my thoughts focus on all of our soldiers, and also to those soldiers who are deployed to all other parts of the world.  May God pour His Blessings on them today and every day after.  Our soldiers are the selfless beings in our country who ask nothing for themselves, but provide everything for us.  So many today will go to the beach, and enjoy a back yard Bar-B-Q, but not really give thought to why this holiday is even in existence.  My thought reflects in the massive Memorial Day sales going on every where this weekend. 

This holiday kicks off the summer for businesses, and most people who travels to their summer vacation spots, but the memory of our soldiers who have served in the past, and today are the reason for the season/Memorial Day Remembrance/holiday.  I hope everyone will take a moment to remember a fallen soldier, and also those who are on duty at present.

May God Bless every soldier, protect them, and bring them home safely to their families.  We know not how very much they suffer, endure and give for our freedoms here at home.  Thank you, to all who serve this country of ours. May the prayers of this country be with you all.

In memory to all of our soldiers, I would like to share once again this poem written by Peter A. Hornbach




The Final Inspection



A soldier died and stood before God, as must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining, just as brightly as his brass.

The Lord said, “Soldier, how shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek, to my church have you been true?”

The soldier squared his shoulders and said, “No Lord I guess I ain’t,
Cause those of us that carry guns, can’t always be a saint.

I’ve had to work most Sundays, at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I was violent, cause this world is awfully rough,

But I never took a dime that wasn’t mine to keep,
Although I worked a lot of overtime, when the bills just got too steep.

I know I don’t deserve a place among the people here,
They never wanted me around, except to calm their fears.

But if you have a place for me, it needn’t be so grand,
I never had or expected much, but if you don’t I’ll understand.

And there was a silence around the throne, where saints had often trod,
As the soldier waited for the judgment of his mighty God.

Suddenly the Lord said, “Step forward soldier! You’ve borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on heaven’s streets, you’ve done your time in hell.”

Peter Alexander Hornbach


Copyright © 2001
All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I had this comment all typed out and was just about to hit the 'publish' button. My cat Sasha, decided she didn't like it, walked across the keyboard, and wiped everything out. Now, I have to type my little comment back in again! I hope that Her Purrness (Sasha) leaves it alone this time!

    I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your post. It reminded me of what this weekend is for. May we all remember those who are or have served for us. Especially those who have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice doing so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb for stopping by. So many these days forget what this holiday really is about. Our soldiers are so very near and dear to my heart.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan,
    I echo your sentiments. This is a weekend to remember all who have served and departed this earth in the line of duty and the name of freedom. We honor their service by continuing to remember. I am humbled when I see the rows and rows of flags at the national cemeteries. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came by Penny and left your words of wisdom. God Bless our soldiers.

      Delete
  3. Susan,
    You're right. This is a special time for remembering soldiers, their service and sacrifice. We are very blessed to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessed we are Linda. Soldiers give more than anyone can even imagine. They live a very hard life, and get in return so little. We are truly gifted with there services to all of us. So glad yo stopped by Linda.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful article, Susan. My husband served in the Navy during Vietnam, and I remember well how servicemen of that war were scorned. He proudly now wears his Vietnam Vetran's cap when we go out and his honored when people shake his hand and thank him for his service. Thank you for reminding us of those who have worked, and are still working to keep this wonderful country free.

    ReplyDelete